We are seeking a full-time Junior System Administrator to work in our Arlington, VA office.
The Junior System Administrator will be responsible for the administration of the Windows server environment running on a VMware Virtual Platform. The individual will provision, install/configure, operate and maintain server systems hardware, software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and partners.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain and administer the Microsoft Windows Server infrastructure, both virtual and physical, at multiple data centers.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Provide Tier II/other support per request from team members. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Manage a Microsoft domain environment; including AD, DNS, DHCP, GPO, DFS, LAPS and Windows 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2019 servers
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required within a VMWare environment.
- Work with external vendors and partners to assist in troubleshooting systems as necessary
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent combination of education/experience in the computer science field.
- Two (2) years of relevant work experience managing a Microsoft Domain, Windows Servers (2008 to 2016), Office 365 (Exchange Online), VMware (6.x and above), and other mission critical enterprise level systems.
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independently.
- Ability to take ownership of issues, escalate as needed, and find creative ways to resolve problems.
- Ability to interact with business management, team members while providing clear and useful information.
- Candidate must be a quick learner with excellent customer service and communication skills.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIRMENTS OF THE POSITION:
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- When necessary, some travel and weekend work may be required.
B. Riley Financial, Inc. employees enjoy competitive salaries, access to our 401(k) profit sharing retirement plan and our other benefits including paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave, voluntary group medical, dental, and vision insurance, and company paid life and disability coverage.