J. Michael Issa
Senior Managing Director
Areas of Expertise
- Bankruptcy Proceedings
- Crisis Management
- Expert Witness
- Financial Advisor
- Interim Management
- Section 363 Sale
- Financial Institutions
- Real Estate
- Retail and Shopping Centers
- Receiver for Momentum Auto Group.
- CRO for Bridgemark Petroleum, Debtor in Possession.
- CRO and Expert Witness for Point 360 in a successful contested plan fight.
- CRO and Liquidating Trustee to American Spectrum Realty, Inc. Debtor in Possession.
- Investment Banker to Townsend Jaguar Rover Dealerships in BK. - Won an Atlas Category Award for Middle Market Deal of the Year.
- CRO and Liquidating Trustee to Mega RV, the largest RV dealer in the West.
- Financial Advisor to Turner’s Outdoors Acquisition Group - Won an M&A Advisers Category Award for Middle Market Deal of the Year.
- MBA University of Texas
- BBA University of Texas
- FINRA Series 63, 65 and 79
- CTP (Certified Turnaround Professional)
- 11 Years with Firm
- 31 Years of Relevant Experience
Michael Issa is a nationally prominent turnaround expert who has successfully led consulting and professional teams involved in over 100 corporate rehabilitations. During his career, he has consulted extensively in the area of corporate turnarounds, workouts and bankruptcies. These engagements have included significant roles in various interim management capacities for clients, including acting at various times as Chief Executive Officer or Chief Financial Officer.
To date, Issa has personally supervised the acquisition and/or disposition of more than 50 businesses during his career. He is a two-time category winner of Middle Market Deal of the Year awards (Atlas and M&A Advisors).
As Chief Restructuring Officer, Issa has managed billions of dollars of debt restructuring and financing on behalf of his corporate and real estate clients. In addition, Issa frequently serves as an expert witness in a variety of bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy litigation matters. He was named one of the national top three witnesses in the "Expert Witness-Economic" category by Daily Report in 2018.
A Certified Public Accountant and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Trustee, Issa also holds FINRA Series 63, 65, and 79 certifications.
He speaks and publishes frequently on a variety of topics related to real estate, retail, bankruptcy, and restructuring, economics, and oil and gas. One of Issa's 2019 articles, "OPECalypse Now and the World Economy," was submitted by the American Bankruptcy Institute for the consideration of the Pulitzer Board in the category of Explanatory Journalism. This article was also selected to be published in the "Best of ABI 2019: The Year in Business Bankruptcy" digital book.
Issa has also been published in the Oil & Gas Financial Journal for his articles on "Brexit's Impact on Oil and Gas" and "Recent Events Help Shape Oil Prices", as well as the ABI Journal for his articles on the state of brick-and-mortar retail, and the impact of the oil and gas industry on global macroeconomics.