Areas of Expertise
- AML / ATF Investigations & Compliance
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Corporate Finance
- Cross-border & International
- FCPA Investigations & Compliance
- Financial Crimes Investigation
- Forensic Accounting
- Litigation Support
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Operational Business Matters
- Financial Institutions
- Hospitality & Entertainment
- Industrial & Consumer
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Real Estate & Construction
- Retail & Distribution
- Conducted investigations into earnings management schemes involving complex accounting issues related to revenue recognition, expense capitalization, restructuring and purchase accounting reserves, and other accounting devices used to manipulate earnings.
- Provided expert testimony before an arbitration panel in Bogota on behalf of a large North American-based telecommunications company.
- Managed an enterprise-wide AML compliance review and program assessment for a bank under government order.
- Investigated allegations on behalf of three premier international financial institutions that certain shareholders of a bank in Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay had converted $250 million in securities to cover losses arising from non-preforming loans.
- BBA Andres Bello Catholic University
- 5 Years with Firm
- 32 Years of Relevant Experience
Antonio Pereira has 30 years of experience in Financial Institutions, Retail & Distribution, Industrial & Consumer, Hospitality & Entertainment and Real Estate & Construction Industries. He has a wealth of experience leading complex, high profile local and cross-border engagements.
He specializes in providing forensic accounting, litigation support, restructuring and turnaround management (he has held positions as Chief Restructuring Officer and Chief Wind Down Officer), mergers and acquisition due diligence & related post-acquisition integration, accounting irregularities, damage calculations, breach of contracts and international arbitration, financial crime investigations and AML / ATF and FCPA compliance and investigations, corporate compliance assessments and deterrence programs, fraud risk management, internal audit projects and assessment of business operational matters, for domestic & international corporations and their legal counsel throughout the United States, Latin America, The Caribbean, Europe and Asia.
Pereira has extensive hands-on experience in assisting clients with AML Compliance taking into account the rules and requirements of the USA Patriot Act, Bank Secrecy Act, Office of Foreign Assets Control, and Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, FCPA as well as other local and international regulatory requirements and/or standards.
Pereira has worked on numerous financial and compliance investigations for clients involving Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Cease and Desist Orders, and Memorandum of Understanding. He has provided expert testimony in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory proceedings on more than 50 occasions.
Prior to joining the firm, he was the Partner-in-charge of the Forensic practice for the Florida, Puerto Rico and Latin America markets of KPMG LLP. More recently, he held senior positions with ISM, Inc., a boutique financial advisory and forensic accounting firm.
Pereira is a Chartered Accountant, graduated from the Andres Bello Catholic University with a Bachelor In Business Administration. He is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.